johns journal

Jesus. Travel. Lifestyle.

Suffering Cinderella

Looking for a much needed break from da da da da da Dora and swiper's swiping nonsense, I popped in Cinderella. I have not seen this picture in a bazillon years and was blown away by all the spiritual truths just begging for me to blog!!! This is a collaboration of thoughts between my mother-in-law and I, stay with me here...
Cinderella's ability to maintain not just her sanity but her gracious spirit throughout all the abuse and oppression from her evil family was miraculous. Not once did she give a stink eye, turn up a nose, or return evil for evil despite all the ugliness dished out, even after her crown is secured. Her love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness and most of all SELF-CONTROL (Gal 5:22) left me speechless. Through her deepest darkest hours she held fast to a vision of hope (without vision the people will perish Prov 29:18) and sang away her suffering. By the end I was pitching sharp objects at the TV in hopes to kill off Lucifer the cat, so appropriately named and the obnoxious stepsisters. Our cinder covered heroine triumphs and overcomes the deepest valleys, proving how fruitful suffering can be. Caedmon's call penned some perfect words regarding valleys,

"Down in the valley, dying of thirst
Down in the valley, it seems that i'm at my worst
My consolation is that you baptize this earth
When I'm down in the valley, valleys fill first." 

I never realized she essentially spends most of this fairy tale laboring and only a mere 5 minutes as princess at the end, interesting huh? Do I want to be like Cinderella and wear the proverbial glass slipper like thousands of little girls around the world? Yes Please! But its her servant heart, grace under pressure, and fruit filled spirit that capture my desire to mimic this iconic princess.

File:Massenet Cendrillon.jpg
The folk story of Cinderella dates back to 1st century B.C! Here's some interesting depictions.

File:CinderAdelphi.jpg

Disney - Cinderella Castle Mosaic Selective Coloring by Joe Penniston.










Scralett Johansson Cinderella Leibovitz by fairytalecinema.
Scarlett Johansson as Cinderella is stunning.
(photo courtesy of and copyright of Disney)

Comments

back to top