johns journal

Jesus. Travel. Lifestyle.

Iwakuni, Yamaguchi Prefecture, Japan

How to fly free (Military Space A) to Iwakuni from Okinawa Japan

Iwakuni surprised me in all the best Fall ways! The flight over was free, since we are now space A professionals. Just kidding, kinda. The patriot express which flies every Saturday from Okinawa with a direct stop first to Iwakuni is a pretty sure thing and for the most part, frequent flights back to Okinawa from Iwakuni. We had a smooth experience, but Space A is Space A wear your flexible hat and remember you are flying free, extend extra grace and patience.

MCAS Iwakuni made everything easy. Upon landing at their passenger terminal there is a free shuttle which rounds the base with a stop at a car rental place. We borrowed a friends car, but next time when we return to ski we will rent! You will need a car there, no doubt. Stay at the Lodge on base- Inn at the Corps also known as Torrey Pines. The Lodge has all the things-free continental breakfast, suites, walkable shops next door and a super friendly/helpful desk.

We had two simple missions in Iwakuni, visit with friends and see Fall leaves. Check and check. I forget where I live (Okinawa) is nothing like mainland Japan and its a welcome departure. The sights, sounds, and smells are completely different. I found Iwakuni to resemble upstate NY in the fall-mountainous, green, and absolutely stunning pockets of Fall leaves complete with crisp air.

Here are our picks in Iwakuni, minus Hiroshima which we will do when we return if my heart can bear it.

Kintai Bridge

I'll be honest i was going to be ok with skipping this, I thought, its just a bridge how extraordinary can it be, boy was I wrong. Do not miss this bridge and more so the surrounding grounds, particularly during Fall or cherry blossom season. Strolling the grounds and crossing the bridge was truly a treat, took my breath away. We happened to be here during one of the festivals so they lit the bridge at night with fire which presented a whole other level of breathtaking; serendipitous timing on our part!






Chicken Shack (Irori Sanzoku Kuga)

This is a tourist trap, I repeat a tourist trap, but for good reason. The grounds here are specatucular as well and the drive there, I recommend sun setting hour for jaw-dropping light bouncing off Fall covered mountains. The chicken shack looks like a scene right out of Karate kid II, ya know the end part in that very Japanese setting-tables all around, pond, waterfalls etc. This place is truly a campus with multiple dining options, varying huts, and tea rooms for dining. The food lived up to the hype, obviously order the chicken. You will wait for a table unless you come on a weekday at an odd time, which is my recommendation, but promise it's worth it.





Hachigamine Park

Rule of thumb when we travel, do something just for the kids for a whole day. This was that day. I present to you the highest and longest roller slide complete with a lift to get you to the top. Did I mention the views from up there?! Heavenly. This park also comes with a obstacle course, bunnies to pet and feed, and the unexpected mvp of the place-the plate spinning game. Hours of fun for the whole family.






Miyajima Island

The absolute crown jewel of the trip, Miyajima Island. This place had me at the floating torri gate but it had my animal loving son at the free roaming deer. In true Japan form this place was so much more than expected. It had its own culture, food, and flavors -hello fresh oysters and the cutest leaf shaped cookies you ever did see, plus it was pristine scenery from every angle. From Iwakuni, drive to the train station then hop a ferry on over to Miyajima. I would have easily spent the whole weekend here. The dreamiest.












Comments

  1. Simply wish to say the frankness in your article is surprising.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks! Feel free to visit my website;

    ReplyDelete

  4. I stumble on this site when I was making research on my project topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This information is really amazing, thanks for sharing. Looking for more post from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you again for allowing me to read these posts, and have a nice day today. Thank youuu.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is very appealing, however , it is very important that will mouse click on the connection:

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting! I was thinking the same thing as you. Your article explains my vague thoughts very clearly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. I have a lot of interesting ideas. I want you to look at the post I wrote

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such an amazing and helpful post. I really really love it

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was delighted to read this, very much useful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for always writing good things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great blog site. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was a great show , really enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  15. Keep up the good writing. please visit our beautiful website, spread the love, thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a nice information, great article.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very good article, I enjoyed reading your post, very good part, I want to tweet this to my followers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i have to say this thing you have did good and nice

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

back to top